Monday, October 1, 2012

A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall

"Don't threaten me with love, baby. Let's just go walking in the rain," Billie Holiday

We have had some beautiful sunny days lately in Columbus but I can't get one of last week's thunderstorms out of my mind. I wanted to put together a post with some things I love about the nights when the sky opens and shares with us thunder, lightening and rain. 
  • Like a fan in the corner of your bedroom, a thunderstorm provides white noise to ease the calming of your nerves and help you relax. I fell asleep to the sound of rain drops on my rooftop and slept soundly through the night.

  • A thunderstorm is the perfect time for reflection, and not just your image in the puddles. I sometimes have a hard time slowing down in my day and appreciating where I am, what I'm doing and who I'm with. Whether you are home alone, cozied up with someone special or stuck in a restaurant until the storm passes, use the time to think about what's great about your being there.

  • Like any hard point in life, this too shall pass. During last week's storm I sat on my porch and thought about all the things, people and situations that brought me there including some situations I considered as really hard, sad or confusing. I thought about the good, bad, hard, easy, happy and sad times that have led me to where I am today and thought to myself, 'What do I have to say to the world?' As I looked out into the dark, wet night, the sky filled with stars and lightning I said out loud, "Thank you." A thunderstorm makes me thankful for the sunny days and encourage me to find grace in the rain.
Life is going to give us sunny days and there will also be days filled with thunder and lightening, both literally and figuratively. It's up to us to see the sun on the darkest days and remember and have thanks for what got us there.



1 comment: