Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Bike Father, Bike Daughter

My dad is the person who taught me how to solve word problems, that tomatoes actually taste good, how amazing college is at OU and among many other things how to ride a bike. We eat tomatoes on our salads now, reminisce often on good times in Athens, quickly solve simple math problems and yesterday, we rode our bikes together on the Olentangy Trail



I love my dad way too much to make this post just about things that I love about him so I'm going to get even more specific and share some of my favorite things about riding bikes with Dr. Rob:

  • My bicycle was my most recent birthday present! Sure, a bike may seem more like a gift you'd ask for when you're 5 or maybe even 15, but my for my 25th I asked for and received a brand new bike! Having recently moved to Columbus I am learning how bike-friendly the city is and spend much of my time riding on the bike paths that interweave this city.
  • My dad has book smarts, street smarts and bike smarts. The breadth of the things my dad dad could be considered an expert on inspires me to try to learn more about more every day. My bike was "broken" when he arrived but I now know that some bikes do not have numbered gears and you need to turn until the gears click and then you're all set to ride.
  • For an older guy, my dad can move! Most of my days have been spent in front of a computer lately so it's really nice when my dad comes to visit and encourages me to get up and moving too. It's always extra nice to see him when rather than feeling guilty about the food we eat over dinner, I can feel proud about the calories we burned first.
  • He can move, but not as fast as me! I used to struggle to keep up with my dad whether we were walking, jogging, figuring out the ending of an episode of Full House, finishing our plates at dinner or riding bikes. My dad can still beat me at a few of those things but yesterday I heard for the first time, "Okay you gotta slow down, I can't keep up!" 
I had a great day riding bikes with my dad yesterday and look forward to the next time we'll get out on the bike path together. Until then I'm guessing I'll write another post about something else I love to do with my dad; he's really that great! 




No comments:

Post a Comment