Thursday, October 4, 2012

My first Columbus Oktoberfest

A German toast....
"Dem Leben sind Grenzen gesetzt, die Liebe ist grenzenlos."
Life has limits, but love has no bounds.
 
Last Sunday I had a lovely afternoon at Columbus' Oktoberfest at the Ohio State Fairgrounds with my sister, her fiance and my friends Michelle and Matt. It doesn't take much to convince me to attend an event that takes place outside on a sunny day, serving brats, sauerkraut balls, potato cheese pierogies and other things I love to dip in ketchup even though I'm supposed to be too old to do so, along with a variety of the latest and greatest Oktoberfest draft beers. The festival was the perfect Sunday afternoon activity as we were able to ease ourselves slowly out of the weekend while enjoying the warm sunshine and fresh air with a cold beer in hand, surrounded by family and friends. I love Sunday Oktoberfest afternoons... I can't wait for next year!
 
 
 
If 2013 is too far to wait and your local Oktoberfest has passed, take a look at the ideas below on ways to create your own Oktoberfest right at home; no DD required!
 
  • What is Oktoberfest? - Now this is not essential knowledge to host the party but just in case a guest asks you, Oktoberfest is a 16-day festival celebrating beer held annually in Munich, Bavaria, Germany, running from late September to the first weekend in October. Mass amounts of beer and traditional foods are served in honor of German Unity Day on October 3rd. Plenty of more information from Wikipedia here if you're curious.
  • Decorations & Apparel - Think St. Pauly's girl here, mixed with Hansel and Gretel and throw in a little Heidi Klum style. You'll want plenty of blue and white decorations on the wall, a German flag (black, red and gold) would be a great addition for the walls. Be sure to wear (and have a few extra for your guests) your favorite green or grey alpine hat and have plenty of  clear plastic boots (to be used as cups of course!)
  • More like OktoberFEAST - At Columbus' Oktoberfest I had a delicious meal of cheese and potato pierogies, German potato salad, a bite of a Bahama Mama and a cream puff. For your party consider some of those items I mentioned or look up recipes on your own; potato salad can be prepared ahead of time and you can cook brats on the grill easily while entertaining your friends. Another suggestion would be pretzels as those are a tradition in German cuisine and are very easy to supply party snacks.
  • The beer! - Sure some of guests are attending for the brats and your fine company but I'm willing to guess a few will be looking forward to what you've got in the cooler. Thankfully a number of delicious German beers are available in grocery and specialty stores across the country, especially during September/October during the Oktoberfest season. Do a quick Google search to read reviews on beers currently on the market then head to the store and decide for yourself which are your favorites.
 
I love the timing of Oktoberfest; early fall has the crispest air. I love that Oktoberfest is for families, with activities for adults and kids alike. I love the food and the beer at Oktoberfest; enough said on this one I think. I love being able to spend a sunny day outside with some of my favorite people and a beer in my hand. Prost!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment