Monday, September 24, 2012

On Your Mark. Get Set. Cheers!

"Why did the idiot start hitting himself over the head with a hammer? Because it felt so good to stop." This is among my favorite jokes and my very favorite running analogy. I still remember laughing the first time my dad told me this as I was running cold water from the hose in our front yard over my head after coming home from a mid-day summer run. Why did I go out for a run that day? Because it felt so good when I stopped. To me, it's just too funny.

Running doesn't always have to be a sport only celebrated when you've stopped; case in point, a fun run! This past Friday evening my friends and I supported the March of Dimes Night Moves run through Columbus' Brewery District. Being an evening run, we were given the brightest race shirts I've ever seen and encouraged to bring along other bright lights for our run through the dark streets of the city.

Decked in neon shirts, hats, socks, shoelaces, necklaces, rings and any other accessory we hoped could be seen from a space shuttle, we took the streets along with about 1,000 other runners in support of babies, the sport and each other. At the end of the race I had a smile on my face, pride in my accomplishment and a ticket in my hand for free pizza and cheap beer (another common fun run bonus!).

I loved the anticipation of the challenge, spending time with my friends and for being able to help a worthy cause. Evidence of my college career will prove to you that I love theme parties so a themed race is right up my alley - it was so fun compiling our accessories and dressing up for this run! Once the race was finished there was a party for all the runners with live music, food and draft beer. We all agreed that Night Moves was a great way to spend the begining of our Friday night!

And another plus, every bar we went to later that night people wanted to know where we had been and why were so loudly dressed. When you respond you just finished running 5 miles in support of premature babies, they almost always respond with a beer. Check out this listing to find a fun run near you and get some friends together, I promise you'll have fun, burn some calories and you might get a few free beers out of the evening as well!



No comments:

Post a Comment