Thursday, November 29, 2012

Even More Than a Pinky Promise

SPOILER ALERT FOR MY FAMILY: IF YOU READ THIS YOU WILL KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING FROM ME FOR CHRISTMAS THIS YEAR!

Okay, now that that is out of the way I want to talk about one of the coolest, most touching and inspiring grassroots campaigns for positivity that I've seen this year, and quite frankly all my life, run by a friend from Ohio University, Alex Sheen. Alex's organization is called Because I Said I Would and was established in memory of his father who passed away this past Fall from lung cancer. Since September, Because I Said I Would has inspired lesson plans, election platforms, promises in over 15 countries (including active military overseas), raised $7,500 for victims of Hurricane Sandy and currently, my friend Alex is sleeping outside as part of a promise to do so for two weeks to raise awareness for the needs of the homeless.

The basis of Because I Said I Would (and it's mission to honor Sheen's father) is that a promise is only worth as much as is promised if it is kept. Anyone is encouraged to write in with a request for promise cards - I finally requested mine last week and they came in the mail just a few days later. Inside the envelope is a list of instructions and 10 cards to be used as I wish to fulfill promises to those I love and to myself. I will volunteer at least three times in the next 6 months. I will be a better friend in 2013. I will support you through all of your wedding planning and do all that I can to make your special day the best day of your life so far.

This year has been a year of "out of left field"s for me. I've left the job I loved for the last 3 plus years, moved to a new city away from my family and am navigating the life of a young (trying to be) professional single woman. Thankfully I have the support of my family and my friends through this journey and I want to repay them for their love in any way that I can. Unfortunately right now I do not have much funds to support this so this year my closest family and friends will be getting the best gifts I've currently got to give - my love and my word. I'm going to create promise cards that will be fulfilled by Christmas of 2013, when I'll ask that the cards be returned to me. 

I am so inspired by Because I Said I Would and I encourage you to visit the organization's web site and support its mission and efforts for peace, promises and change!


No comments:

Post a Comment