Thursday, January 10, 2013

Another Year, Another Resolution


"Another fresh new year is here . . .
Another year to live!
To banish worry, doubt, and fear,
To love and laugh and give!
This bright new year is given me
To live each day with zest . . .
To daily grow and try to be
My highest and my best!
I have the opportunity
Once more to right some wrongs,
To pray for peace, to plant a tree,
And sing more joyful songs!"
- William Arthur Ward



I am a fan of setting goals. I think it's really important to always be working toward an improvement or new skill and to hold yourself accountable for the expectations you set. My favorite task among the exciting duties of of a new year (new years plans? new years outfit? when can I spend these gift cards?) is to determine my new year's resolutions. I set at least one every year (often checking and updating for a mid-year's resolution around June) and follow my progress closely throughout the next twelve months. In 2006 I wanted to "try new foods" so I expanded my palate beyond chicken sandwiches and pizza without cheese. In 2009 I wanted to "be more patient" and since then often receive comments from telephone customer service people on how patient I am (maybe never from other drivers but hey, I'm from Cleveland.) I'm buying more groceries thanks to 2011 and I'm really looking forward to 2014 if I can stay true to my word for 2013.

This year I'm setting two resolutions for myself:

1. Be a better friend. - It's easy to say that life goes by quickly and that I'm too busy to keep up with myself let alone keep in touch with my friends. Lately I have been trying to spend more time really thinking about my thoughts - I know that may sound silly but when I am alone with just my mind as my company, I've been starting to listen to the conversations that ensue. The times when I am happiest and most content with where I am now are when I think back to my friends and some of the happiest, most fun times of my life that we shared. I had their support then whenever I needed it and that was something I never doubted. Now that we don't have the pleasure of waking up in the same house together or even just a few blocks away, I want my friends to remember that they still have my support and that I appreciate them in my life very much. I'm going to send cards, remember birthdays, make phone calls, stop by just to say "hi," and try to find other ways to meet this goal to be a better friend.

2. Be accountable. - I decided that this year more than ever I want to be true to my word when I say that I will: do something, say something, be somewhere, help with anything. It's, just like I said above, so easy to feel like the world is spinning out of control around me but so important (and relieving) to realize that in that beautiful mess, I am ultimately accountable only for myself. In that same sense there are so many other people in the world fighting the same fight that the least I can do is follow through with my word when I say that I will do something. This also includes not accepting invitations or making offers just because it feels polite. This year if I say that I will do something, I am going to do it and I hope the habit sticks for the rest of my life.

What resolutions have you set for 2013? Do you have any tips you'll use to achieve your goals?



No comments:

Post a Comment